I am not a big fan of the Super Bowl (SB) but I always want to watch it for the commercials. Today's game was great - some really funny commercials, and also some moving and very timely ones. I have been thinking a great deal over the past few months about racism, so having a few commercials that celebrated African-Americans and Black History Month were warmly welcomed by me. They were timely not only because of my thoughts over the past few months, but because just today I was talking with Michael about how any amount of racism or negative comment about any group of people has the potential to affect the self-esteem and world view of our future child.
Our child will be of a different race - she (or he) will look different from her parents, cousins, friends and most everyone in her community. At some point in her life, she will become acutely aware that she is different, probably earlier than anyone would suspect. I hope and pray that she is not subjected to a world in which she is exposed to people who feel it is okay to disparage those of other races, or those who are gay, or those who have disabilities. It is not a huge stretch for a child from China who hears someone making fun of a Mexican immigrant to wonder if someone is making fun of her as well.
I know I was celebrating seeing those wonderful commercials. I hope that everyone that will touch the life of my future child was too.









0 comments:
Post a Comment