Friday, August 10, 2007

Woo Hoo!!!!!

WE ARE HOME!!!!!! Before we left, I knew I would be glad to get home, but I never, ever imagined I would be this happy!

Wow, was it a tough trip. We left for the airport around 7:45am Hong Kong time, which would have been around 6:45p on Wednesday night at home. It was crazy getting a cab because after breakfast, Michael went to change Olivia and she was super messy - like change clothes messy - so as we were trying to get a cab, I was trying to dig out something for her to wear while at the same time moving all of the luggage out to the pick up area. Once we got in the cab, I was sure I forgot her bottle. Thankfully, I didn't.

Once we got checked in and walked to the gate, I realized I had dropped Olivia's boarding pass. She was hungry and fussy, and I was freaking out. Fortunately, they were able to reissue one at the gate with no problem. HUGE relief.

The flight was okay, but long. Olivia didn't sleep but around 2 hours. We had a few major boughts of screaming, especially toward the end of the trip to Newark. We also experienced a snake of a crew member - she scolded me for talking to loud by the bathroom because some crew members were sleeping, then told Michael he needed to take Olivia somewhere else when he stood up to try to calm her when she was crying because he too might wake the crew members. There were several other things she was nasty about but those were the biggies. Can I tell you how little I cared about waking a flight attendant who would be home in bed LONG before we ever even left the ground in Newark????

Anyway, other than Miss Nasty Pants, there was little else significant. The trip through immigration, claiming bags, customs, rechecking bags, then security was long, frustrating, and anxiety provoking. Nearly 2 hours later, we made it and got to the gate. A sandwich and a coke, visiting with Amy, Jeff, Nick and Lily then we boarded the plane for St. Louis.

Olivia was getting hungry at this point. In the airport we gave Olivia a bottle and some bread from our sandwich. Then once on the plane, some cereal. We were just about to push back from the gate when all of that, plus some, came right back up on me. Ugh. I used the remainder of a container of wet wipes to clean us up as best I could.

Before we even pushed back, the pilot told us we would be delayed. They were great about giving us all of the information they had, which was little. Three hours of sitting on the ramp later, we took off. Fortunately, Olivia slept most of the 5 plus hours we were on that plane. Also, I dried quickly and really didn't notice much of the puke. Guess I was way too tired to care.

I think it was around 9 when we got to St. Louis, but it could have been 10. I really don't know. We got off the plane and Amy et al. was waiting for gate checked bags. We hugged and cried. We were finally home.

We walked through the terminal together, they not knowing exactly when we would see family because they weren't as familiar with STL. As we rounded the security corner, I told them we would see family soon.

It was the most awesome welcome in the world. We turned that corner to see a cheering crowed, signs, balloons and our favorite people in the world. Amy and I walked arm in arm, crying, with Olivia on my hip. Lots of tears and hugs followed. I cannot express how completely awesome that moment was.

Olivia was a little awed by the whole experience. She just looked around and took it all in.

Now we are home. Pictures to come, Pam took tons.

A huge thanks to all who met us at the airport. I love you all. Gina

4 comments:

velma dunard said...

Again, I say WELCOME HOME. What a beautiful site this must have been.
So sorry we couldn't come to airport but sent our hug and kiss by KIM.
I had a toast while you were screaming, hugging, and crying. In fact I took two in. Maybe three after your flight kept getting delayed. We can't wait to see Olivia, but we will wait for your invite. I know you have to be exhausted and overjoyed. Love, Aunt Velma

Jill said...

Soo happy you all are home. Thanks for all the posts, it was really fun following your blog site. After you've all settled in maybe you can give me all the details of the trip. Look forward to seeing you. Jill

Jim said...

Welcome home!!!!

Anonymous said...

Gina and Michael,

We are so happy for you three. We are excirted to see you all but we will wait for you to settle in.
Call us when it is a good time for you.

Pauline and Joe