Sunday, September 13, 2009

Olivia's Nest Egg

Warning: This post contains no pictures of Olivia. :)

So, Michael and I have been talking about getting chickens for a long time, but the logistics of it all always stopped us. After seeing a news report on backyard chickens recently, we decided to go for it. About two weeks, a WHOLE lot of work and help from neighbors and all three Grandpas later, we have a beautiful coop and seven chickens. Their names are Buffy, Checkers, Ginny, Amelia, Mindy, Pumpkin and Cindy. Olivia helped a lot in naming them, and I know them all apart.







I only posted a picture of the roof line of the coop so far because it still needs a few finishing touches. When it is completely done, I will show it off. All of the chickens are female (no roosters) and we got them for eggs and as pets. Olivia loves to hold them, especially Buffy, and could spend hours just hanging out with them in the pen.

5 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

I think I can guess who Checkers is... congrats on following through with something you always wanted to do.

Shelle said...

cool!

Jeff and Amy said...

That is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maddy and Zeke's Mom said...

Love it!! What a great way to get fresh eggs.

Kiy said...

Wow, you really did it. I am impressed, in awe and somewhat frightened. But then, I will *always* be a city gal at heart (and hopefully in body too, too much country makes me nervous!).

Glad you all are enjoying the chickens, especially Olivia. Loved the warning message!

Cheers, Kiy