Friday, September 18, 2009

Still no pictures...

But, I thought you might want to hear a little bit about what Olivia is up to these days.

  • We use a gate at night at her door. We fantasize about her sleeping until 7. Sometime between 6 and 7 I hear "MOMMY" "MOMMY". If it is too close to 6, and the stars are aligned, I can yell back "it is too early, go back to bed" and she will be marginally quiet for about 3 extremely restful minutes more.
  • Once I free her from captivity, we get our reward for not climbing over the gate, not screaming and crying, and generally exhibiting decent sleep hygiene, a piece of sugarless gum. Then we race to Mommy and Daddy's bed. I usually win. A few minutes of wrestling, then Daddy will get up. As he is putting his slippers on, sitting on a chair, Olivia will run up to him, hug him and yell "Daddy" at which time he responds with "Olivia". She then runs to me (still lying in bed, dreaming of just 5 more minutes of sleep) and yells "Mommy". I hug her and say "Olivia". Then back to Daddy and the process starts over and continues many, many times.
  • Several months ago, she started with "two hugs". This happens when either Daddy or I am holding her. The other parent comes over and she puts one arm around each of us and pulls us in. Then we each kiss one of Olivia's cheeks and then each other. She has branched out to not just doing this with Mommy and Daddy, but involving friends and other family members.
  • Her favorite phrase a couple weeks ago was "I have an idea" said with an inquisitive look on her face and one figure held up in the air. It was followed by a "hmmmmm" with her finger over her lips.
  • She loves the Wiggles and whenever she says it she wiggles the fingers on both hands while holding them up in the air.
  • She is obsessed with talking on the phone. The other day she actually locked me out of the house by closing the dead bolt. After I got a key and got in, I found her on my bed with the phone in her hand. When talking to real people on the phone, she is always showing them things by holding the phone up to the item she is showing them. After we got the chickens, she was on the phone with Grandma Gayla. She took the phone outside and held it up high so Grandma could see the chickens. Grandma responded by telling her how pretty they were.
Every day is an adventure!

3 comments:

a Tonggu Momma said...

Oh, dear... sending condolences about the early rising. The Tongginator is up between 6 and 6:30 every morning, too. We used to use the gate. Now we can't because she drags a chair or stool or whatever and uses it to climb over the gate. Heh.

Doug and Terrye said...

Our daughter likes to wake up with the sun...that's why I love the dark months of winter ;)

Thanks for giving me my Sat. morning smiles...what a sweetheart!

Maddy and Zeke's Mom said...

Love it! It's so cute how they try to mimick things we do but not quite getting the full context.

Here's hoping to one day getting a chance to sleep in just a little bit.