Since Olivia has not changed significantly in the past six days, I am using this time to post about another topic that has been on my mind.
A few weeks ago, I read this wonderful post: Things to Think About on the blog of a fellow adopter from China. While Michael and I have not heard all of the comments, we have heard many of them.
The one we have heard most, like this blogger's comments on "rescuing" their daughter, is how "lucky" Olivia is. I can't say for certain, but I do not believe I have ever heard anyone tell a biological baby that she is lucky to be in her current life situation, it seems like such a strange thing to say to or about a small child. It seems even stranger to say this to or about a child who was unable to be raised by her biological parents, taken to an orphanage, lived there for many months, adopted by total strangers and taken to a foreign country to live.
Michael and I feel very fortunate to have this delightful, happy little girl in our lives and we hope that one day she will feel the same about us, but very much hope she never hears and comprehends that some people think she is supposed to feel lucky to have us.
The one comment I would add to this bloggers thoughts is the frustration I feel when I hear disparaging remarks about things from China. With all of the toy recalls (which is due a HUGE part to US companies saving a buck so they can sell products in the US cheaper, there has been a great deal of negativity surrounding all things Chinese.
I want my daughter to grow up with a love for the country of her birth, not with negative feelings about it. I want to instill pride, with an honest understanding of who she is and where she came from. When she is old enough to understand these comments, I will have to be prepared with a thoughtful response. Probably something like: there are good and bad products (people, food) from all over the world and just because this one made the news, it does not mean that there are not lots of wonderful, beautiful things that come from China.
Monday, January 21, 2008
Another Change of Pace
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)









1 comments:
Amen sister!
Post a Comment