Monday, February 4, 2008

My Heart is Breaking

The southern part of China has been hit repeatedly by winter storms and very cold weather. These areas of China are unaccustomed to and unprepared for such severe weather. The children in the orphanages are suffering. Half the Sky, an organization that assists orphanages in China has reported the following about just one orphanage:

Yueyang SWI, Hunan - has no electricity. The one functioning power generator is being used in the children’s dormitory. They are relying on coal heat but the price has tripled in recent days. They are running out of food and have applied to the local Bureau of Civil Affairs for funds to buy more. Our HTS nannies have been walking for hours to get to work, often slipping on the ice, “even though they try to be cautious.” UPDATE: Request for quilts, 4 large room heaters, disposable diapers, winter clothing and medical assistance. Estimated cost: 30-50,000 yuan; total child population: 192

If you are interested in helping, go to: Half the Sky There is a link on the right side of the page with a little mouse on it.

To add to all of the struggles, this is the week of the Chinese New Year celebration. My people are traveling to visit family. I have emailed my friend in China and asked her to call Olivia's orphanage to see what help they need. After two days, I have not received a response, therefore, I assume she is gone to visit her family or possibly, unable to access her email because of the bad weather.

I am hoping to donate directly to Olivia's orphanage as soon as I hear what their needs are. If you would like to contribute directly to Olivia's orphanage, use the Chip In link to the right. Otherwise, help all of China's children by donating to Half the Sky and get help out there as soon as possible.

0 comments: