Friday, May 9, 2008

A Non-Mom

I went from anticipating my first official Mother’s Day to being a “Non-Mom” in one quick moment! The Today Show is sponsoring a contest for America’s Favorite Mom. Among the categories is: The non-mom mom defined as Grandparent, stepmom, or mom to adopted children, each one raising and loving a child.

Now I am a Non-Mom. Sure doesn’t feel that way when I am changing those diapers, tending those owies, and playing those games. I realize that I signed on to be a conspicuous family – and while I do not get many, I am okay with questions from strangers and I realize that I signed on to make sure, come heck or high water, that Olivia gets everything she needs to form strong attachments to Michael and I, but I never, ever thought I would be considered a “Non-Mom”. I never cease to be amazed at the lack of respect and legitimacy that is afforded to adoptive families.

1 comments:

Louanne said...

You know I already ranted on my blog today, but I see now that they have changed their website.

GO Adoptive Moms!!