Thursday, August 7, 2008

Maria

I am deeply saddened by tragic events regarding China or adoption from China. I first heard the news of the earthquake as I was driving home from work and I cried for the rest of the drive. Afterward, although nearly impossible to avoid, I did not read or listen to much of the reporting. It was simply too much for me to bear. The astonishing loss of life, parents losing children, children losing their families. Orphanages damaged and some unaccounted for after several days.

The same deep sadness then self imposed disconnection occurred upon hearing of the death of Maria Chapman. I did not read the posts on all my friends blogs, the threads on forums, and I avoided the news reports following the tragedy. Steven Curtis Chapman and his beautiful family have always played a small role in our adoption story, so, like many others I was deeply saddened by Maria's tragic death. Unlike many, many others I have never seen Steven Curtis Chapman in concert, and was not inspired by his adoption story as I did not know it until we were well into the process and I realized that he had inspired thousands to adopt from China. I half-jokingly blamed the increased wait times on him. I received his beautiful book about adoption and now read it to Olivia.

I saw that the Chapman's were doing their first interview since Maria's death this week. I did not read further. I received an email with a link to the video and finally decided that I needed to watch it. I did, and cried the entire time. My heart aches for this beautiful family. Their strength is amazing.

http://abcnews.go.com/video/playerIndex?id=5524419



2 comments:

Jeff and Amy said...

Gina, I had no idea. Everyone handles situations differently and at times I wish I would not have seen and read all that I could find on the earth quake and Maria's death. Strangley it almost consumed me and I became very scared for a good month for the well being of my kids. Thankfully that has left. Their interview hard to watch but shows they are human and even Christian struggle and question their faith at times. But so powerful knowing they will see her again :)

Louanne said...

I cried my eyes out watching that on Thursday. But in my work for World Vision I get so much heartbreaking information that it can overwhelm me at times. So I totally understand.