Friday, October 10, 2008

Follow-up: Director Xie

Last month I posted about a donation I had made to Olivia's orphanage here. Earlier this week, I received an email with a picture of the printer.

In communicating with Love Without Boundaries staff, I also asked them to send a brief note with my contact information and a picture of Olivia, which they did. For the past year, I have been hoping to be able to establish some form of regular communication with Director Xie. I would love to be able to keep him updated on how Olivia is doing and send a picture or two here and there.

It seems to me that each person who adopts from China has a different experience related to the orphanage. From early on, when Ann at Red Thread China contacted Director Xie just after we got our referral, I felt that he was someone who obviously cared deeply about the children in his charge. I talked about it briefly in this post from last June.

After we returned home from China, I had four sources of photographs of Olivia's life prior to us: two rolls of film that were sent to the orphanage, a photo album Director Xie had made, and from Love Without Boundaries from their visit to Qinglui in March, 2007. Here is one of those pictures with Director Xie holding Olivia:

In all of these photos, there are some with Director Xie holding Olivia.

After all this and my hoping and wishing for contact, this week, I received and email from Director Xie! I was thrilled! It was wonderful to have a few words from him, to have his email address, and to actually be able to communicate. Along with being so happy that my efforts have paid off, I also must marvel for just a moment at the amazing world we live in that I can communicate with someone in rural Fujian Province who does not speak a word of English. How cool is that?

3 comments:

Pam said...

Very, very cool!

Shawnstribe said...

Gina that is sooo cool.
I understand how you feel, i have persistently emailed X X'sCWI, and it has been sucha blessing.
The Director has kindly sent me some extra photos,and igot a letter from one of the Ayis.
It will mean so much to the girls!!!!
xxx
s

Briana's Mom said...

That is truly amazing!!!