Saturday, February 21, 2009

A Whole Lot of Blood

but thankfully, no pictures. The day started like any other, Olivia waking up at dawn and beginning the process of destroying her room. An half hour or more later, Mommy and Daddy drag themselves out of bed, let Olivia out of her room and start on breakfast. Some playing and computer time after breakfast, and my tummy is bothering me, so Olivia and I go into my and Daddy's bed so I can lie down for a bit. Daddy joins us on the bed and Olivia starts with her FAVORITE game. Either on the bed or on the sofa, Olivia RUNS to get into the spot usually occupied by Michael or I first and then claims it as "my spot" and refuses to allow us entry. As with the bed this morning, I was on my side and she was in Daddy's "spot". He came and sat on the edge of the bed and they began playing and tickling. I was watching and resting on my side. All of a sudden, Olivia throws herself backward as hard as she can and the back of her head slams me squarely in the nose.

I cry out in pain, stunned for just a second, then sit up and my face falls into my hands and I am crying uncontrollably from the pain. I feel my hands getting wet and hope it is from the runny nose that has plagued me for a couple days. No such luck. My hands, the blanket, my face and hair are covered in blood. Michael gets a huge handful of toilet paper from the bathroom (or maybe it was tissues from the nightstand) and tells me to hold my head back, which I do. He then gets a cold wash cloth and an ice pack. Eventually the bleeding and sobbing stop.

Poor Olivia didn't know what to think. There was blood everywhere and I was a mess. We debated going to the ER or urgent care, but by the time I decided to go and got dressed, I was feeling a little better. Instead, Daddy and Olivia went out for a while and I laid back down (sheets and blankets in the washer) and rested for a while. My nose still hurts now, but no swelling or bruising, so I think I am going to make it.

11 comments:

Jill said...

Oh! OUCH! Gina, hope you are doing/feeling better. Bless your heart....
Hope Olivia madee it through unscarred as well.
Hugs, Jill

Kiy said...

Oh my gosh! You guys are sure nothing is broken, right? How scary for all of you! Emi does that to me too, and seemingly, only to me. She never seems to hurt Jeff but can bring me to my knees with pain, and I have a pretty high pain tolerance.

I hope you are doing better. Poor O, bet it scared her too!

Hugs, Kiy

Cristina said...

OUCH!!! Hope you are OK now Gina. xxxx

Deb and Sean said...

OUCHIE!!!!!
Sorry to hear about the mishap! That little pumpkin of yours sure has some great energy though huh?! Love the park photos by the way ... just finally getting caught up with all my 'followers' ... and myself for that matter!
By the way ... Cadence loves to announce in the mornings ... 'I in your spot mom' (or dad). They are just so cute!!!!

Doug and Terrye said...

OMGoodness!!! That's why my mama told me no rough-housing when I was little ;) I'm sorry for all the pain, and I hope your sheets and blanket came out clean.

Terrye in FL

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Ouch! Hope all is OK!

Monica said...

Oh, Gina! Hope you're doing better. Maimie loves the "my spot" game, too. Never had it end in a bloody nose, though. Take care! Monica

Maddy and Zeke's Mom said...

Oh my, I hope you are doing better. It's so hard when they are justplaying around & you get hurt in the process.

Take care of yourself!

Anonymous said...

oh no, I feel bad for you both!

Briana's Mom said...

Oh my! I hope you are ok! Briana has accidentally clocked me a time or two, but no blood thank goodness. Scary stuff!

Jeff and Amy said...

Oh my gosh Gina, makes me hurt just reading about it, hope you are feeling better, hugs.