Thursday, July 24, 2008

One Year Ago Today - Almost Packed

Just as today. Ready for our trip to visit one of our travel mates. My how things have changed. There is so much more to think about with a toddler in tow. Of course, it is lot of fun too!

I can't even begin to describe the surreal feelings of a year ago as we were just about to leave for China. In some ways, it hardly seemed real after waiting and doubting for so long. On one level, I knew it was real because we had the referral, but until we actually had her in our arms, it was different.

I do not remember if or how well we slept. I don't remember much of what we did the next morning. I do remember being on the phone with my bank while we were waiting for our connection at Newark trying to get my online banking access fixed.

And now we are packed and almost ready to leave again. Not to China, but to Illinois. Even though none of our girls are from the same orphanage, I think it is important to get together with the two families that we traveled to China with and when possible, the other family that was originally part of our LID group. It is easiest for Amy and I, because we are only about 3 hours apart, and St. Louis is somewhat close to the middle. This trip came as a last minute thought --- I have been off work since Wednesday because our sitter is on vacation. I had jury duty and had to appear on Tuesday. Not knowing for certain what it would entail, I hesitated to plan anything, but late last week, decided to go ahead and do it and talked with Amy. I figured I could always cancel if the jury thing was more than I bargained for. Fortunately, I did not get selected for the jury and the trip is going ahead as planned. One big reason I wanted to do it is that the times we have gotten together we are always busy... the zoo, shopping, etc. We talked about wanting some "hang out" time and I figured this was one way to make it happen. We are going to spend most of two days just having a good time.

2 comments:

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Oh man...I should just hop in the car and come meet all of you!!

Safe travels!!

Louanne said...

I love it! I remember having the hardest time sleeping. Then we didn't fly out until 6 pm the next day so I cleaned the entire house. That seems like insanity, but it was a great way to burn off all the energy.