Wednesday, November 5, 2008

What An Amazing Day!!!

It is 75 degrees on November 5th, 2008 and we have Barack Obama as our President-elect. I am so excited that my daughter can see that it was the will of her fellow citizens to see beyond race and elect a member of a racial minority as their leader. While she will never be afforded the same opportunity, at least she will know that it is possible for someone other than a white male to be President of the United States of America.

Years ago, I had a newspaper clipping of Martin Luther King, Jr's "I Have A Dream" speech on my wall. Today, on this amazing day, a day like no other, these words have come a little bit closer to becoming a reality:

"I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character."

I have this same dream for my daughter and for all of the children of this country. Today, we are one step closer.

7 comments:

Pam said...

Gina, I agree this is an exciting time for our country and children!

Cristina said...

Congratulations all Americans on putting such a fine man in the White House!! Hurrah that the days of George W are numbered!

Cristina (in Australia, often seen as the 51st state of the USA!!)

Finally a Family of Four said...

Gina-waht a beautiful post. I could not agree more with you.
Renee

Dori's Mommy (Diana) said...

Wonderful post and I am going to borrow parts of it for my Thankful Thursday post.

Shelle said...

Gina, I was thinking the same thing, as was my father, while we spoke tonight. How could we want any less for our children or our country. An amazing, historical day that I will never forget and am so glad Mattea witnessed even though she surely won't remember it. Now, hopefully one day I can say to HER "you can be president one day too".

Michelle

cscomo said...

Gina,

Thanks for this post...really beautiful!

Maureen

Steve and Kailee said...

I think it's an amazing day too!!! I was thinking the same thoughts while I was holding my daughter. I love the post and I agree with you totally.